One of my favorite things to do is read. I’ve always loved it. I love ingesting knowledge and learning. I gravitate towards easy to read novels, self-help books, parenting books, biographies. I am an eclectic reader who tends to pick an author or a theme and run with it. After much harping from Mike, I’ve started reading more “fun books” – he likes me better when I’m reading novels than when I’m reading parenting jargon at 10:30 at night!
Of course, I wish I could have read more this year, but with three little ones and three part-time jobs, I think I did pretty well. I’ve always wanted to join along with several of my bloggy friends who try to read 50 books a year. I came close this year, but I didn’t actually finish all of the books on my list.
This year’s theme was mostly easy to read books that were enjoyable to read before going to sleep. My favorite author was Kristin Hannah (thanks Mandy for introducing her books to me!) and I also really loved The Help by Kathryn Stockett and The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins. Most of the other books I read had a parenting/mommy theme with a few others, such as Laura Bush’s biography, thrown in for good measure. Hopefully my reading level will increase a bit over the next year as I am sleeping more.
Below are the books I read in 2010.
5. The Birth Order Book - Very interesting book about how birth order impacts personality. Definitely a great book for any parent!
7. 1-2-3 Magic - By far the best parenting book I read this year!
13. Cleaving - Her first book was much better…
14. Bitter is the New Black - Hilarious!
15. Great Sex for Moms - not at all what I expected! Don’t waste your time!
18. Forever, Erma
21. Pretty in Plaid
23. Bad Mother - Great for any mom who is questioning her views on parenting.
24. True Colors
26. My Fair Lazy
30. Red Hook Road
31. Firefly Lane - My favorite book of Kristin Hannah’s thus far…
32. The Help - Excellent.
34. Nantucket Nights (did not finish)
35. The Weight of Silence (did not finish)
36. Fly Away Home - Jennifer Weiner is another one of my favorite authors.
37. The Hunger Games
39. Catching Fire
41. Summer Island
43. Winter Garden
44. Total Money Makeover - Nothing I didn’t already know…
45. Between Sisters
46. Sleep is for the Weak - Great writing by bloggers!
47. On Mystic Lake
48. Magic Hour
49. Comfort and Joy